4/25/2008

Futurama: Bender's Big Score

When Futurama first came on the air I thought it was the greatest thing since spilt milk....err I mean sliced bread. Yes. Anyways, I thought it was great. The first season or two of Futurama was incredibly witty, really funny, and just an overall good show. Sometime after that, though the show remained popular it, to me, just became a little boring. Looking back I find that the episodes never really got bad, but it has more to do with the fact that Futurama is better in small doses.

Now, having not truly watched Futurama for years I was presented with the fact that there is a fairly new, straight-to-video movie which is rekindling people's interest in the series. Remembering the good times I had with the show, I decided it was only appropriate to give it a chance.

Coming in at a whopping 88 minutes Bender's Big Score is really just an extra-long episode of the show. Fans of the show, including those like me who only saw a few seasons worth or just random episodes here and there will definitely find that this is the Futurama they originally loved to watch. The basic storyline is that after being fired unknowingly for two years, the team is called back for a final delivery. On this delivery the members of the crew are tricked into signing a petition which asks for their e-mail addresses. Later, the crews e-mail boxes are full of spam, but each finds certain pieces of spam irresistible to click on. Bender becomes infected with a virus, and the others have their money and property stolen. This waves slowly takes over the entire earth until the whole planet is taken over by 3 aliens who love to scam people. Then, randomly there is a code for time travel on Fry's ass which allows them to go back in time and continue their scamming... but with the risk of creating a doomed paradox and destroying the world as we know it....

My greatest fear when watching this movie was that it would start out funny but become boring after 15 or 20 minutes, however that is not really the case with this film. I found that even as the movie neared the end it still managed to hold my interest and remain very amusing. A little research showed me that Futurama movies 2, 3 and 4 are all currently in the works. Two are set for release sometime this year with #4 coming out in 2009. I slightly disagree with this tactic because I feel as if releasing an excess of Futurama movies is going to re-create the problem which started Futurama's downfall in the first place. That is simply is not as funny in large doses. I think one release per year would have been quite sufficent.

Regardless, I will give the next Futurama movie a chance. And I will likely continue to watch them as long as I still find them interesting. So let's hope the team has a few more tricks up their sleeves.


Rating:
Good stuff

Related Links:
IMDB
Official Site

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]